Monday, June 12, 2017

Why I'm Obese and I Don't Care 23/84


There are a lot of ways out there to track progress and health. Body weight, body fat percentage, girth measurements, and workout logs are all good ways. The Body Mass Index or BMI is not one of them. The BMI is a way that some people use to decide whether or not you are the correct body weight for your height. For the average person, it can be a decent way to figure out what range your weight should be. It classifies you into underweight, healthy, overweight, obese and morbidly obese based on height and weight. Doctors and insurance companies use the BMI to determine how much your health insurance is going to cost which gives people incentive to lose weight and get their BMI lower. Although that is goo, that is about the extent of it's benefits and can be a huge problem for some people.

The issue with something like BMI, which takes into account height and weight, is that it only takes into account height and weight. This means that super important health metrics like body fat percentage are completely neglected. This, then, means that people who have an above average amount of muscle mass generally get kicked up a gradient or two from where they should be on an actual health scale. At my height of 6'4" and a body weight of 245 pounds, I am technically considered Obese with a BMI of 30. For me to fall into the Healthy category, I would need to lose about 40 pounds. Seeing as my body fat percent is usually around 10%, that leaves me about 24 pounds of fat.  So I would need to lose a ton of muscle mass to fit the mold of what is considered healthy, which is super unhealthy.

What's the point of this quick post? Base you progress around how you look and feel and use a couple metrics to tack progress numerically. Don't worry about what other people consider healthy and just make yourself happy.

 If you guys want the full Anti Dad-Bod program hat I also started today then go ahead and fill out that pop-up to get included into the list! Right now you'll also get a free copy of the Nutrition Template that I use for myself and my clients. Subscribing will also let you join the private Facebook group that I just opened, This group will allow for much more engagement with each other than my Facebook page so I can make sure you guys are getting all of the info you need.

See you tomorrow!

Facebook: Greg Herceg - Personal Trainer
Instagram: @Greg.the.Trainer
Email: gsherceg@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

How LISS Cardio Changed My Life

Look, this is not going to be some post about the amazing amount of fat you can burn by doing this type of training. I still haven't ch...